Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Miracle of Cheetos

I have a confession-I am an optimist. I don't mean the ordinary glass half full kind of person. I mean the kind of person that believes someday Cheetos will cure even the most hideous of diseases; that every person will find the kind of love they desire-the kind of epics and internet romances; that everyone can be the weight that suits them best-plus size, skinny or in between. I believe in a world where people care for one another enough to let others succeed, without petty jealousies and back stabbing.

It's hard to be an optimist while listening to the news. Corruption after diasaster after bailout, the country I love seems to be going to Hell in a handbasket. What's worse it the overwhelming sense of powerlessness I feel, as one little Jane in Montana. Who am I? What can I do? Did I really make a difference just because I went to a Tea Party?

It's funny how life gets in the way of our dreams of youth. I always thought I would be famous, important, noteworthy and I guess in a way I am: famous to the chickens and horses that come chase me down for food every morning like a hoard of autograph seekers after a movie premiere; important to my kids, who notice when the laundry didn't get done or when the cookies come out of the oven; noteworthy to my husband, who sees me the way I was when we met at 23. It's all a matter of perspective, of optimism.

I love my simple life. I live on a farm. I have no neighbors. My solitude is my sanctuary. But lately, I can't help but feel it isn't about me anymore. Times have changed, life has changed, values have changed and so I must change too. I must take this Pollyanna attitude and the fire in my belly to make the little Jane voice heard. I must proclaim to the establishment in Washington their arrogance is not a value we hold dear, their contempt is not welcomed and their disdain for the principles of our fore-fathers must be purged. This Jane believes in America, believes in the values on which this nation was founded and believes we, as a movement, can make a difference. We will take this spark, nurse the flame and feed the fire until, one by one, we have created a bonfire of patriotic revival for the America we love.

That's what I intend for my blog...even if no one reads it...to ignite the spark and fan the flame of those of us who want to take back this country from those who would sell it to the highest bidder. We must and I believe we can.

I have to believe. I am an optimist.

1 comment:

  1. I commend you on wanting to make your voice heard. One of the best ways is to talk to your Congressmen's folks at their local office. It may be a bit more difficult up there in Montana, but phone calls to the local office work better. I have to give credit to your reps for having multiple offices all over the state.

    ReplyDelete